Expertise, Guidance, and Coordination—from Project Planning to Completion
Despite the many hours spent carefully planning a critical IT project, it may fail without the right oversight, guidance, and coordination. Project failures are not only widespread—they’re extremely costly. The statistics are staggering:
- For every $1 billion invested in the United States in 2016, $97 million was wasted due to lacking project performance. (PMI.org)
- The average large IT project runs 45%over budget, 7% over time, and delivers 56% less value than expected (McKinsey & Company)
- Only 69% of projects completed over the last 12 months successfully met the original goals and business intent of the project, and 14% were deemed failures (PMI.org)
There are many root causes behind these stats, including:
- Inadequate communication
- Change in organization’s priorities and objectives
- Poor planning and planning processes
- Failure to adequately identify, document, and track requirements
- Inadequately trained Project Managers
- Lack of skilled resources
- Poor budget management
Careful coordination and management of people, processes, and technology are critical to the success of complex IT projects. We established our IT Program and Project Management services to overcome these challenges ensure that our clients achieve their project goals—on-time and within their budget. In addition, we help our clients:
- Minimize implementation time
- Avoid risks and pitfalls
- Gain better visibility into project status
- Adapt to changing priorities and needs
- Achieve greater adoption of new processes and technologies
- Maximize ROI of their projects
Our IT Program and Project Management Services
Our Program and Project Managers provide the expertise, guidance, and oversight that organizations need to ensure the success of their project. Since 1998, we have helped hundreds of companies across retail, consumer goods, government, manufacturing, financial services, insurance, and more plan and execute their critical IT projects.
Leveraging this experience, we bring tremendous industry, product, and methodology knowledge to our clients’ projects. We know the best practices, pitfalls to avoid, and the right actions to take when something doesn’t go as expected.
Our Program and Project Managers assist companies in many ways including:
- Planning and defining scope
- Providing team leadership and mentorship
- Assigning and coordinating the right resources, when and where they’re needed
- Working with vendors to ensure they deliver what’s needed, as expected
- Establishing schedules and tracking timelines, adjusting as needed
- Identifying opportunities to gain efficiencies and streamline processes
- Managing the project to the budget and providing forecasts
- Managing risks and responding to issues
- Coordinating projects/tasks and interdependencies
- Aligning deliverables with desired business outcomes
- Creating and managing documentation
- Ensuring and controlling quality of deliverables
- Monitoring and reporting progress to stakeholders
- Ensuring milestones and goals are achieved on-time and within the budget
Our Project Management Approach
We take a comprehensive approach to IT Program and Project Management, and are committed to the quality of each and every project.
We don’t just create a plan and walk away, and we do much more than create templates and status reports. As an advisor and partner, we are committed to helping our clients execute the plan from start to finish, and reaching goals as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.
Our Program and Project Managers help our clients through a wide variety of initiatives, ranging from the relatively easy to the most complex. They listen carefully to the needs of our clients. They apply their leadership skills, experience, and knowledge to ensure alignment between goals and strategy, and identify risks and pitfalls to avoid.
They work with stakeholders to develop an actionable plan for the initiative, create realistic timelines, milestones, and deadlines, and coordinate resources. And they ensure that projects are delivered as intended, across each stage of the lifecycle.
We can adapt our project management approach and methodologies to accommodate our client’s needs. For example, we have helped our clients deliver successful projects using Agile, Waterfall, and Hybrid approaches.
IT Program Management
Our Program Managers help to ensure that multiple projects meet operational, cost, timeline, and budget-related goals. They help to integrate and orchestrate complex projects between IT and business units to achieve their desired technical and business outcomes. They engage with various stakeholders across the organization, and provide our clients greater visibility across their projects.
In addition, our Program Managers address the human and cultural factors that are so critical to the success and sustainability of our clients’ initiatives. For example, through our change management services, they help organizations adapt to changing environments, requirements, and goals throughout an initiative—while still meeting their budget and timeline requirements. In addition, they orchestrate and deliver communications, knowledge transfer and training to ensure greater adoption of new processes and technologies.
IT Project Management
Our Project Managers help to plan, coordinate, oversee and manage individual projects. They become an extension of our client’s team, ensuring the right resources are in place when needed, milestones are achieved, deadlines are being met, and that the project will be delivered with an agreed-to timeline and budget. When plans or requirements change, they’re there to help our clients adapt and identify the best way to achieve their project goals.
We offer three levels of Project Management services to accommodate our clients’ needs: Essentials, Intermediate, and Enterprise.
These different levels are designed to ensure that you receive the right level of management, coordination, oversight, and documentation for the size of your project. Based on years of IT project experience, these offerings are packaged to optimize business outcomes and to ensure the best possible experience for your organization throughout the project. Please contact Lightwell to discuss these offerings in greater detail and determine what’s right for you.
Why Lightwell for IT Program and Project Management?
Many of our Program and Project Managers have a minimum of 20 years years of IT project management and implementation experience across industries. They have worked on distributed, global teams on large-scale, complex IT projects.
Lightwell invests in ensuring our consultants have the right Project Management skills and training needed for our clients’ complex IT projects. They have deep knowledge of Project Management tools and techniques, and draw from the collective wisdom of Lightwell’s technical leaders and hundreds of “Lessons Learned.”
Based on project size and complexity. There is no “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to Program and Project Management needs, which is why offer three different levels of services.
Based on organization experience, structure, and culture. We adapt our services to align with the needs, policies, and processes of our clients.
Let’s Get Started
Whether you need assistance with a single project or coordinating a variety of projects, contact us to discuss your needs. We’ll put you in touch with the right person to explore your initiative.